Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault In Our Stars by John Green
313 Pages
Release Date: January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books
Publisher: Dutton Books
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction/Contemporary
Rating: 2 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



For all you John Green fans or just someone in need of a tearjerker or an emotional yet motivating read, The Fault In Our Stars is the perfect book for you. I did like the book just not as a lot of other people enjoyed it. I've always tended to shy away from tragic stories like this. And honestly the only reason I read  it was because a bunch of my friends read it and they kept urging me to read it. So I did...and I was a total black sheep.
      
It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, just different from all the other books I read. The characters were a big plus factor. Hazel felt real; she wasn't just some fictional cancer patient that eventually gets her happy ending. She was the teenage girl who wanted to live, to be normal, and had that angst every teen has. August was just perfect for Hazel. He made her smile, had witty dialogue, and you felt like he was a normal teen that wasn't sick. Isaac, August's blind best friend, was pretty cool and added a good dose of real friendship. Hazel totally needed August and Isaac as friends because they understood her and grounded her and they made her feel normal to some extent. The plot was simple and as August and Hazel try to find a way to leave their mark on the world and tried to get their questions answered by Peter Van Houten, the author of An Imperial Affliction. 
      
Personally speaking, I just got bored easily and I just couldn't connect to the characters. I couldn't care less to what happened to the characters. It felt like the story dragged on a bit. There was also Isaac's relationship with Monica in the beginning. It just annoyed me so much, I wanted to tell Monica, "If you were going to dump him the in first place or knew you wouldn't last, then why would you hurt Isaac like that. And to Isaac I just wanted to say, "Dude. She isn't worth it...". I know I'm being quite harsh but I don't know it just aggravated me for some reason. 
     
Overall, this book just wasn't my cup of tea. I would totally recommend this book to John Green fans because it has the same sort of style and those in need of a poignant and tragic yet real and inspiring book. While I didn't enjoy this book, I'm sure others will :) Happy Readings! 

      




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...