Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
322 Pages
Release Date: May 10th, 2011
Publisher: Henry Holt
Genre: Sci-fi/fantasy
Level: YA
Rating: 4.7 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
MY THOUGHTS:
               I would just first like to say that I really like the curly cue swirly flower things and the chronograph, but I don't like the girl. In my mind Gwyneth is prettier. I would also like to point out that I read this in one night while I was on vacation...in New Orleans...at one o'clock in the morning...and then proceeded to buy and read the second book within the day/night/morning time...and then preorder the third...which is really good (I'm not done, but soon). This book (at least in my mind) is a really quick amazing captivating read that you just zoom through. Kerstin Gier is amazing, I don't know how she did this but I am super impressed. Both books almost seem to take place within like 2 days but at the same time like 3 weeks. The characters are bloody brilliant. AND (I'm sure this is because it was originally written by in England) but unlike a lot of books that take place in England but the characters still sound American all of the people in this book sound British. Like as I was reading it my mind's voice (?) was British not American. ITS REALLY GOOD! 
          ANYWAYS! So the main girl Gwyneth. Damn she is nice and like amazingly tolerant and amazing. There are so many times when people say things to her or talk about her like she isn't there or insult her or just a million other different things where I would have just lost my temper, yelled at someone, maybe punched something and walked out! But she just accepts it, she doesn't let it get to her and she is so amazingly strong for it. I think theirs this one moment when she breaks down in front of Gideon (well get to him) and he says something like *fake man voice* "Oh, I forget that this is hard for you too..." I mean DUH! Its not just Charlotte's life thats in an uproar (I hate her by the way) or anyone else's, if anyone has the right to bitch and moan and insult people and be condescending and basically a giant ass its Gwen. But she doesn't do any of that she handles it amazingly well and I just love her as a main character.
      So Gideon. First I'm going to give you my half way through the 3rd book thoughts on Gideon which parallel my majority of first book thoughts and then I'll give you a little second book thoughts too. Gideon's an ass, he's just a big giant fucking (I know! But it has to be there) ass. He's condescending and underestimates Gwen while just loving Charlotte waaaaaaaaaaaay more than she deserves. He's stupid and terrible but (2nd book/ I guess a little third and first *sigh*) he's also terribly sweet and nice and confused. Sometimes I think he really cares about Gwyneth and sees Charlotte as snake (this is insulting snakes btw) she is and other times he seems to be brainwashed into thinking the exact opposite. He's really very bipolar about his emotions and its really frustrating luckily Gwen doesn't put up with his shit or lert in bother her (in front of him) so thats good. Honestly I'm not sure what I feel about him, he's been so terrible and then so terrible kind and sweet and amazing. Basically I'm hoping for the best and am going to be cautiously optimistic about Gideon. 
      I also love love LOVE Lesley. She is THE best friend ever and so smart and sweet and funny and adorable and I could go on but I wont. Count Saint-Germain is a terrible sexist, racist, self centered, powerful, irritating, bastard who deserves to die a slow painful death at the very least and I hate him more than anyone. Ever. This book is terribly good and awesome! I think you should totally read it cuzz its amazing and all the characters are great and the story moves along really quickly and I swear you'll finish it in a day cuzz you stay up all night trying to finish it because its awesome. I really love it I hope you will too!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! This one and book 2 are super fun, quick reads! I'm hoping to get to book three soon, but my review TBR is taking precedence now!

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...