Friday, October 18, 2013

The Thing About Books: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Hi guys! It's time for The Thing About Books which for any new readers, is a feature we have every Friday where Caitlyn and I take turns writing these discussion posts/joint reviews/fangirly conversations. This week's spotlight is THE MORTAL INSTRUMENT series by Cassandra Clare.
We'll mainly be talking about the first 3 books so if you haven't read them SHOO! There are SPOILERS and it is never good to be spoiled even though I know a lot of you guys spoil yourselves anyways ;P Enjoy!

~The Mortal Instruments~


Taherah Abbas
The Mortal Instrument Series has been with me ever since I first started reading YA and will be one of my favorite series (well the first 3 books at least)

Caitlyn Crowe
Same definitely same it is probably the series that really introduced me to YA and got me suuuuuuper into it too

Taherah Abbas
I object to that buuuuut yeah I think it was one of the first books I fangirled over :P8:46 PM

Caitlyn Crowe
you object to what!?

Taherah Abbas
To ur previous statement. You read a lot more YA before you finished the series or the last 3 books at least

Caitlyn Crowe
I didn't say that I finished the series before I got into YA just that it introduced it to me

Taherah Abbas
Ahh anyways what I don't like about this series is that it should have ended 3 books ago (if ur including book #6)

Caitlyn Crowe
Wait so you like 6??

Taherah Abbas
No that it would be 3 books ago if ur including book 6 since I would have liked it to end at book 3

Caitlyn Crowe
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH so did not read that right

Taherah Abbas
:P BUT JACE AND CLARY AND MAGNUS AND ISABELLE AND JUST 
AWESOMENES

Caitlyn Crowe
OMG IKR AND JUST ALL THE SHADOWHUNTER THINGS AND ANYTHING JACE SAYS EVER AND JUST AMAZING

Taherah Abbas
JACE OMG HE'S ARROGANTLY PERFECT

Caitlyn Crowe
"Sometimes I turn myself down every once in a while. Just to keep it interesting

Taherah Abbas
I LOVE YOU JACE. Oh I basically loved Clary when she slapped Jace in book 1 it was one of my favorite moments in the series

Caitlyn Crowe
right OMG Like the that was for the last 5% line was just one of my favorites. I always really love the characters of Cassandra Clare's book like I've met mean annoying hypocritical people who don't like Clary but I love her she is bad ass

Taherah Abbas
I think she had her bad moments and epic moments. Really depends on ur own perspective :P

Caitlyn Crowe
But I like to look at good ;)

Taherah Abbas
Dude that scene and horrible moment where Jace and Clary realize they're sibling was HEARTBREAKING

Caitlyn Crowe
I just can't I don't understand those things. Its so terrible and heartbreaking and I just couldn't deal and UGH.

Taherah Abbas
RIGHT I think it was one of the things that kept a lot of people from continuing the series

Caitlyn Crowe
Cassandra Clare does that the whole "but wait" thing...just over and over and over again

Taherah Abbas
EVERY SINGLE TIME9:10 PM
MY HEART BREAKS ALL THE TIME BECAUSE OF HER ENDINGS

Caitlyn Crowe
RIGTH JUST EVERY DAMN TIME IT NEVER FAILS IT MAKES ME SCARED TO CARE ABOUT HER CHARACTERS BUT THEN I DO AND IM SCUKED IN AND ITS TOO LATE! ....its always too late...

Taherah Abbas
It's so easy to get attached to her characters. Idk how she does it but it's horribly wonderful especially with the way she writes

Caitlyn Crowe
I know and none of them are like each other. They are their own person with their own strengths and talents. And I love how all the stories just always tie together in a neat little bow

Taherah Abbas
All her books come back full circle. One thing I don't like about that is that if you don't read one of her books or stories then you completely miss out on huge connections and at times it gets a bit irritating

Caitlyn Crowe
That's true it would be nicer if you could get the whole picture without reading every single book

Taherah Abbas
It really would :/ I do applaud her on the plot twists throughout the books though

Caitlyn Crowe
Okay can we talk about the amazing that is Jace?

Taherah Abbas
Course course ;D This convo wouldn't be a convo without him

Caitlyn Crowe
He's just so snarky and amazing and tortured

Taherah Abbas
His tortured side really showed in book 2 and I think that made me lovelovelove that book

Caitlyn Crowe
Okay I just wanted to punch both him and Clary in the face in that book I MEAN YOU BOTH WANT EACH OTHER FUCK WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS AND DO WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT FEELS RIGHT STOPPING MURDERING EACH OTHER WITH EMOTIONS IT HELPS NOTHING

Taherah Abbas
You mean with the whole brother/sister thing?9:24 PM

Caitlyn Crowe
YUP

Taherah Abbas
Ahhhhh I understand why they didn't pursue anything even though they loved each other. And I get it got annoying at times especially when they would have their intense moments and they slip but then go back to "Oh we're siblings. No touchy."

Caitlyn Crowe
But like just the things they would say to each other about it its like damnit you love her and she loves you and you love him and he loves you back so yeah don't make out but at least be civil to one another, you can still be friends stop acting like you don't even care the slightest for each other cuzz its a fucking lie and its just stupid

Taherah Abbas
Oh YES TO THAT especially since it seriously also hurts at the same time

Caitlyn Crowe
And most important it hurts us on the inside too

Taherah Abbas
That too. You don't know how much I reread the scene in book 2 where they go to the Faerie land place thingy.

Caitlyn Crowe
omg you have no idea NO FRIKING IDEA how MUCH I love that scene with Jace and like "Well I'm not kissing Simon" and Simon revealing his inner badass and saying " Too bad, your missing out." and then the Clary and Jace kiss and just ah

Taherah Abbas
IT IS WONDERDUL. I FANGIRLED SO MUCH OVER THAT SCENE

Caitlyn Crowe
I JUST LOVE ALL OF THE CHARACTERS AND THE SNARK AND ADORABLE KISSING SCENES THAT ARE ALSO LIKE AMAZINGLY AWKWARD FOR EVERYONE EVER 

Taherah Abbas
YESSSSSSSSS AND MALEC SHIP SHIP SHIP

Caitlyn Crowe
MALEC ALL THE WAY!!!! Although I heard that Alec gets annoying again and doesn't deserve Magnus (I obviously don't actually know seeing as I've only read the first three books)

Taherah Abbas
Oooh yeah I heard that too! And apparently they have big problems in book 5 O_O I still ship them though :P (Can we wrap this up soooon?)

Caitlyn Crowe
(do whatever you want) That makes me sad because Malec is beautiful

Taherah Abbas
They are. There's so much to talk about the twists that Cassandra Clare is able to create, all the relationships there are in the story (SIZZY!!), the world which is one of the most creative worlds invented, and just the awesomeness of everything but unfortunately there isn't much time! I give the series 4.5-5 stars really depending on the book :)

Caitlyn Crowe
I agree 100% and I love love love love LOVE the world!

What did you think about The Mortal Instruments series?
Also so sorry for the abrupt ending, we both had a busy day and had stuff to get done and there just wasn't enough time! Hope you understand!
Anyone who didn't like the series?
Agree or disagree with us some topics?
Tell us your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...