Friday, February 7, 2014

Unraveling Books: Cress by Marissa Meyer


Hi guys! So this week Taherah and I are trying something new! 
We are both going to review the same book (basically like a dual review) and have it posted here! 
This way you can read both of our opinions without all the bickering ;)
There will be spoilers from previous books but we will refrain from adding spoilers
into our reviews. There still will be The Thing/Truth About Books but we're going to alternate
depending on the book and which it fits better. 
Hope you enjoy!

Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
560 Pages
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Level: YA

Goodreads Summary:
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.


Caitlyn's Review: Rating- 5 STARS
Oh my gosh, this book. I’m not even sure how to describe it. I mean I already had high expectations (with cyborgs, wolf men, aliens, androids, lost princesses, princes, and criminals how could I not?) This went above and beyond anything I could have hoped for! I love how through out the whole series and even just this book all the characters get torn apart and then knit back together again and again. I loved this book! Cress is funny and wonderful, its action packed and just brilliant all around.

Now for the couples. First up: Cinder and Kai. Oh my sweet goodness, these two. Cinder has got to be my favorite heroine of this series. She is amazing and brilliant, I love the fact that she’s a mechanic, and she really steps up in this book. She still has her moments of panic (who wouldn’t?) but at the same time she knows what she has to do and is determined to do it. Then there’s Kai sigh oh Kai. I’m not sure how to describe him. He’s just perfect, he really is. I can’t say much more without it being too spoiler-y but there is hope! Next! Scarlet and Wolf. OMG WOLF! I just, I don’t understand. He’s just…amazing. There are no other words. Because. And just. waves arms around just trust me. He’s…mmm… he’s just fucking awesome. Scarlet is her usual amazing, brave, intelligent self and they. Are. Just too CUTE. Last! Cress and Thorne! I just love Thorne, so much. Cress, well at first she kinda irritated me but she’s starting to grow on me. I think these two’s relationship has got to be the most frustrating. They need to get a grip and admit they like each other, basically.

OH! And I really love Thorne and Cinder’s relationship! They are such cute best friends who piss each other off and it’s amazing. They bring a smile to my face every time. XD AND IKO!!!!! OMG! I never realized how much I truly loved her till this book but she is just GREAT! She is so funny and sweet and she brings in this girlish comic relief (sort of) through out the book. I also like the development of the relationship between Cinder and Wolf.

SO MUCH HAPPENS IN THIS BOOK! From…nope bad Caitlyn! No spoilers! Basically it’s so good all I want to do is rant and spoil the whole book. But I wont. I will hold in. No matter how hard it is. Cress is an amazing book. I would recommend the whole Lunar Chronicles to anyone who even remotely liked sci-fi/fantasy books. I hope you decide to read it! Best wishes!

Taherah's Review: Rating- 5 STARS 
Cress exceeded all my expectations for it. I was never really familiar with the original story of Rapunzel but from what Caitlyn told me, Cress did similarly follow the original story. Everything starts to connect and it's awesome seeing all the pieces fit together. Heartbreaking, hilarious, and action packed, Cress delivered a fantastic story with an epic setting and backdrop.

There are so many characters and new relations developed in this book. 1st, there's what I like to call "The Unfortunate Couple", Cinder and Kai, both who I absolutely ADORE. Cinder has always and will always be my favorite heroine in this series and I love how she takes her leadership role seriously. She gets a plan and follows through with it. Kai is going through so much. I honestly feel so bad at all the stress he's being put through to maintain an alliance with the Lunars to get an antidote. 2nd, "The Adorable Couple" aka Scarlet and Wolf. MY GOODNESS. I honestly had mixed feelings about Wolf in Scarlet but in this book he's one of the most intense and truly amazing character I love! There isn't much of Scarlet and Wolf's POV in this book but I'm guessing that would undoubtedly change in the next book. 

And 3rd, "The Hilarious Couple" this mostly due to the fact that Thorne is a part of it. I like the way Thorne's and Cress' relationship develops throughout the book. I will say that Cress isn't really my favorite character. I mean I guess it does have to do with the fact that she was alone on a satellite for 7 years but she was a bit odd. Although her fascination with Earth is hilarious :P Thorne is what I would like to call a true adaptable problem solver. He lightens every situation and he seriously reminds me of Kenji from Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi. And then there's Iko who I LOVE! I love how she and Cinder contrast each other yet are best friends and her fangirlishness is just hysterical and epic!!

So. Many. Things. Happen. I can't even begin to describe it all without totally ruining the book. But it's definitely worth the read and I definitely recommend this to everyone especially fantasy/sci-fi lovers. Everything in this book is so thought through with clues from previous books or scenes that just all lead up to this one whole big story. Happy Readings! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...