Friday, April 25, 2014

The Thing About Books: Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano

Welcome to this week's The Thing About Books!
Today Caitlyn and I discussed Elle Cosimano's NEARLY GONE!
Please please please be sure you have read Nearly Gone before reading this post
because there are major SPOILERS!!! If you haven't read it yet SHOO!
After you've read it then be sure to join us :D

~Nearly Gone~


Caitlyn Crowe
I really loved Nearly Gone

Taherah Abbas
Agreed. The mystery was epic and amazing and the characters were so easy to connect to

Caitlyn Crowe
I. Love. Reece. And the murders. And the clues (from a non creepy-cool-story-plot-thing sort of stand point) And Mona. And Nearly

Taherah Abbas
It actually took some time for me to like Reece...

Caitlyn Crowe
He had a motorcycle and I *pauses dramatically* was a goner. After that first motorcycle ride I mean, before that I was iffy about him and just wanted someone who I liked as much as Nearly because at that point Jeremy and Ahn were pissing me off

Taherah Abbas
It would have been a better plot and even for Nearly's sake to have a better best friend. Even if its only one. But I think she really needed that support and Jeremy wasn't able to be there for her and that irritated me :/

Caitlyn Crowe
I kinda hate Jeremy. Like yeah, your dad is messed up and you like Nearly more than she likes you but JEEZ! She has problems too! And his weird fake half relationship with Ahn that none of them would talk about was really gross

Taherah Abbas
Idk I feel like Nearly was the one who thought more of their relationship than it really was. So I won't put any blame or anything on them for that considering it wasn't explained or clarified.

Caitlyn Crowe
But yeah, I really wanted her to have a close friend/confidant sort of thing happen. It would have been awesome

Taherah Abbas
I did love that Nearly knew that Reece was the undercover person and was impressed by how long she was able to go before letting it out that she knew :P

Caitlyn Crowe
YES! AND I LOVE THAT TIME WHEN SHE STOOD ON THE CAR AND WAS LIKE "LET HIM GO OR I'LL SMASH YOUR WIND SHIELD" AND I WAS JUST LIKE *FIST PUMP* YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Taherah Abbas
DUDE AND HIS REACTION WHEN SHE TOLD HIM SHE KNEW. PRICELESS

Caitlyn Crowe
AND THAT KISS!!!!OMG OMG OMG AND WHEN SHE ADMITTED IT WAS BASICALLY HER FIRST KISS AND HE SORT OF JUST FIXATED ON IT *squeals*

Taherah Abbas
XD Too. Cute.

Caitlyn Crowe
I just really loved how there relationship sort of weirdly progressed and how they didn't even need to talk about how they really did have feelings for each other and the cute balancing equations metaphor thing in the beginning <3

Taherah Abbas
I found that metaphor hilarious especially the way he said it (I don't know how to describe it but it this kind of tone that I found funny)

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah :) I also love how he...ok I don't know how to describe it but I liked the way he seemed to know what she was thinking and feeling and always enjoyed how she reacted to things...kinda...anyways, I liked Reece

Taherah Abbas
And then there were the murders...Can I just say BRILLIANT??? That nerd inside of me jumped and squealed with happiness with the riddles and just finding out what the pattern was, was awesome.
Basically my favorite part of the book

Caitlyn Crowe
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! AND THE WHOLE NAME THING AND UGH!!!! IT WAS JUST SO COOL! My inner nerd definitely took over during those parts and did a happy dance

Taherah Abbas
Right?! Just amazing and sosososo different than other YA mystery novels and I loved how it was only based around her and the way he used her obsession with personal ads to his advantage.

Caitlyn Crowe
Yes! It was amazing and super smart and totally fit just like all of their personalities and the book. Oh! You know who I loved though??

Taherah Abbas
Who?

Caitlyn Crowe
Teddy. He was such an amazing adorable cute ball of sunshine!!!!

Taherah Abbas
Awwwwwwwwwwwww YESYESYESYES
But I also loved Oleka Petrenko :D :D

Caitlyn Crowe
YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!AND THE RUBICS CUBE!!!!!

Taherah Abbas
I was just like HA IN YOUR FACES. HE DID IT. WHAT.....basically. For some reason I never really distrusted him

Caitlyn Crowe
Same! Even when we were supposed to be convinced he was Lonny's evil henchman. He was too cool. Oh! I also...kinda like...Lonny

Taherah Abbas
Me too! But only at the end after Kylie/Kyla's death. I was totally intimidated by him before that though

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah...he before that point he was kinda serial killer-y to me in the "I'm not afraid to murder you slowly just for pissing me off" sort of way

Taherah Abbas
Yup yup...Also her mom....SO did not expect her to be a genius. But it's pretty awesome ;D

Caitlyn Crowe
I love her mom :) so was so badass. I mean I hated her at first but then after we found out she was a genius....Yeah, she was awesome in my book

Taherah Abbas
I feel like I judged her too harshly and I do feel bad :/ But at the same time it's like, you could've done something with your life or at least tried even though Nearly was in your life

Caitlyn Crowe
Yes. I agree. Oh my gosh! The emotion thing!!!!

Taherah Abbas
Intense. I think it could have been developed a bit more (like the idea of it and how it came to be) but I kinda get why it wasn't

Caitlyn Crowe
I thought it was a really interesting thing and I really liked seeing how it affected her relationships with people and how in the end Reece believed her about it and just...yeah

Taherah Abbas
Definitely. I liked that she never really took advantage of that fact or even downgraded herself for feeling stuff that she shouldn't be able to feel

Caitlyn Crowe
The way she withdrew into herself was really interesting but I think totally fit her personality

Taherah Abbas
Totally give this book 4.5-5 stars :D

Caitlyn Crowe
AGREED
What did you guys think of Nearly Gone?
Surprised by who the killer was?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...