Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
368 Pages
Release Date: February 21st, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 5 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.



Oh my god, you guys I should have read this book right when it came out. Honestly. I didn't because I'm stubborn and had stupid preconceived notions about it (much like Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl) BUT I WAS SO WRONG! I WAS SO SO WRONG! THIS BOOK IS WAY WORTH THE HYPE IT HAS BEEN GIVEN OH MY SWEET GOODNESS IF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND ARE STUBBORN AND HAVE IGNORED THE PRAISE OF YOUR PEERS GO *points off to the horizon* GET OUT OF HERE! SCRAM! READ THIS BOOK WHO'S TITLE IS WAY TOO LONG TO TYPE OUT AS MANY TIMES AS I DID! If you're still not convinced I'll try to continue on and explain in more eloquent, less caps-locked words (the key word here being try) as we move forward from here.

Oh, where does one even begin with describing this sort of book? Jeez. Its just so good. I don't want to spoil even the slightest detail. Ok, ok I'm just gonna start with Ari. Or Dante. Or both. OK! SO! Oh my gosh they boys are amazing. They just have such a different way of looking at life and the way the interact with the world and each other is so unique and special and amazing I'm honestly not sure how to describe it. They just see so many things differently than the rest of us (unless you see the world this way in which case: I envy you kind sirs and madams please, tell me about your life and how you see things I would love to get to know you)(was that creepy? I think it's kinda creepy...OH WELL IM STICKIN WITH IT) So yeah. I'm not gonna say much more about Dante because first of all I actually cannot describe him because he's just brilliant and awesome and second of all I'll probably spoil something. So. MOVING ON! (lol I realize I said absolutely nothing specifically about Dante...OOPS! Guess you'll just have to read the book to find out XD)

AHHHHH. Now Ari I can maybe, possibly, almost describe to you...sort of. IM SORRY! I'm not trying to be intentionally vague but the way that I understand these characters...the way I see them isn't really through words its kinda...emotions? I know how they make me feel and its this sense of wonder and amazement and affection and this deep almost understanding thats hard to describe in relation to a real life person (real book person?). But, really, the description of Ari in the summary DOES NOT DO HIM JUSTICE! He isn't JUST an angry, angsty teen. He's so much more than that and yeah for the most part I think he kinda defaults to anger a little bit but he's also just trying to figure out the world in this really beautiful and unique way. *makes vague hand motions* UUUGGGGHHHH I CAN'T DESCRIBE THIS RIGHT! He's really fucking cool. There.

SOOOOOO! Are you gonna go read it now? Because you should. This book (I refuse to type out the title again) just emotionally affected me so much and WAAAYY more than I thought it would because I was stupid and stubborn and didn't read it sooner. What I'm saying is even if the summary doesn't make it seem like the book is your speed just try it out because you really don't want to miss out on this. This book has very easily slipped itself up into one of my all time favorites and you should just go give it a try in case it does the same for you. Meh. BYEEEEEEE!


2 comments:

  1. YOU GOT ME SUPER EXCITED TO READ THIS!!!! I seriously can't wait :)♥

    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see that you liked this one! I've been hearing tons of great things about it and your review has made me want to read it even more. I guess I need to hurry up and read it! Great review. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...