Saturday, June 29, 2013

Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
488 Pages
Release Date: December 18th, 2012
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Science Fiction
Level: YA
Rating: 4.7 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.
When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.


When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.





The Darkest Minds  is UGH! its so good! I bought it as like a last minute kinda "Oh I have extra money...this looks okay" thing. Boy, I am sososososo happy that I did. I dont even know how to describe it. This book is brilliant, really. Alexandra Bracken makes amazing characters! They seems so real! They all just, I dont know I rarely pay attention to consistence of character and motive and stuff but while reading this! It all made sense! All of the things everyone did made complete and utter sense with their characters and pasts. And the general story line of it and the disease-apocalypse thing!! That was spectacular!! I mean seriously! She combined children apocalypse and disease with MAGIC (kinda....well in my mind its magic, or something really close to that)!!!! Really what it is, is a disease that roots out the strong and makes them genetically and  mentally better than the generation before them, which is what evolution and education should be doing but on an EXTREME level!!! I could not put it down!Sometimes I would try to put it down and go do something but would, within 5 minutes pick it back up again. It is riveting. 


Now the way that the government, and really everyone dealt with this disease baffles me. These 9-14 year old CHILDREN were sent off, usually by the parent's hand, to concentration camps where they were treated like criminals! It is just insane! And what reason could there possibly be for it?? I mean sure some are more dangerous than others but they're KIDS. Then there are the different colors! I am still like totally lost on what each specifically mean but I think its along the lines of blue(telekinesis....I think), green (smarter than average), and yellow (sorry no clue)  are safe and red (fire power??) and orange (mind control) are dangerous. This may be wrong! (I'm not good with remembering stuff.) Then they went and exterminated the reds and oranges! I mean you already have so few children left why kill off what you have!?!?!? And the White Noise?? Apparently the White Noise targets specific color's brainwaves because they are different from each other and from normal people and this noise basically causes the children to not be able to move because of intense pain. I just!!! Huh! It is so amazing! I couldn't put it down!


Moving on!  Ruby! OH mygosh! This girl is bad ASS!!! I mean at first she starts out totally helpless and just wants to hide and stay hidden. But then she meets the boys (and Zu) and she starts to just come out of her shell and just embrace her powers (mind control, if you were wondering). Ruby just develops so much! She is such a strong main character! Reading through her POV is a delight! She is smart (especially considering she only got like a 4th grade education) and witty and sarcastic and just AWESOME!!!! I want to be her friend! I really do. I mean she managed to figure out that it was better for her to keep her head down and pretend to be a blue than to tell anyone she was an orange! And she is so broken! I know that sounds like a bad thing but I think it makes for some of the best characters! (I mean who wants to read about someone who's already fixed?) And I love the fact that Alexandra Bracken doesn't just come right out from the beginning and say why Ruby is broken, you get it in bits and pieces till Ruby is ready to even face it for herself! 



Then Liam!!! OH LIAM!! I picture him as a giant teddybear! Thats what he is to me a giant amazing, compassionate, awesome, spectacular teddybear. He is funny, and sweet, and just amazing. Truly. GOSH I JUST LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH!!!!! Liam and Chubs and Zu! They are just the best. I'm sorry I cant describe them better. Just read it. Take my word for this and but The Drakest Minds and see for yourself that I am right. Its really the only solution here.



Alexandra Bracken is truly amazing. There is so mush character development and action and awesome. And NOTHING is conventional! Not introductions to people! Not the plot line! Not the ending! Nothing! It is one of my favorite books....I'm going to go re-read it now. You should go out and buy it so you can read it too! Its wonderful!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. I've had this on my to read list for so long. Your enthusiastic review makes me want to move it closer to the top of the pile again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was so good! I still don't really fully understand the powers either, although I think blue-mechanical, green-intelligence, yellow-electrical, orange-mind control and red-fire.

    Ruby is the most bad ass of the bad ass and Liam. Every time he says darlin' I die a little inside. I cannot wait to read more of this series.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...