Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger
488 Pages
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Aladdin
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Level: MG
Rating: 5 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.


Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.” There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.


In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.




I know you saw that "Children's" thing in the description and the fact that Sophie is twelve and you are now judging. Well don't! This books is amazing. It has been a really long time since I have read a fantasy book so well written, entertaining, and interesting. Most children's books are either really slow or have very few descriptions but Keeper of the Lost Cities never has a dull moment. Shannon Messenger really out did herself with this one! It is mysterious and adorable and awesome and amazing and I'm running out of adjectives and just bloody brilliant.


What really, really got me is the world. Ohmysweetgoodness this world is AMAZING!!!! It has magic and smartness and alchemy and telekinesis and telepathy and astronomy and mystery! Just so many wonderful spectacular things!!! I want to live in this world sosososo much. I mean I would be the most idiotic person there and not fit in at all but DAMN I wanna live there so bad!!! THEY CAN TRAVEL BY LIGHT FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!! There is Atlantis and dinosaurs and things I cannot and will not even try to describe because they are so brilliant and delightful I would just ruin them. Truly one of my all time favorite fantasy worlds EVER!



Lets move on to Sophie. She is only twelve BUT her mind is so advanced and smart and amazing that you never. even. notice. If she wasn't so much smarter than me I would think it was someone my age but she is smarter and that made it seem like she was someone older. Sophie is so amazingly talented (mentally). Her telepathy skills are un matched by anyone and none of the other elves (did I mention they are elves?? Well they are) with telepathy skills can ever hear a single thought from her.(sorry that was a little spoiler-y) And she is so strong! I cant give you an example but just trust me that she is. 



I wish I could talk about more characters but I cant! Sorry! Just read the book I PROMISE they are wonderful and awesome and brilliant and amazing! I cannot tell you how much I love this book! I'm sure you will too! If you don't....I'm sorry that you don't have an inner child obsessed with fantasy. Mine at least is really great and one of my favorite parts about myself. Keeper of the Lost Cities is just the best. Reeeeaaaddddd its worth iiiiiitttttt.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...