Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review: The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
457 Pages
Release Date: May 7th, 2013
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Genre: Science Fiction
Level: YA
Rating: 4.5 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.




This book is beautiful. I have never second guessed myself so much and never have I ever liked an alien book so much. But damn this book is just intense. There is romance, action, guns, aliens, Zombie, Evan, sarcasm, and so so much more! Its not particularly fast paced but once you have decided something for yourself the next page just shatters that fact and makes you second guess it. My reaction to all of this book was "OOOHHH!!!!! I get it! Wait, what? But then...so I'm wrong? But.....huh!!!" over and over again. It was spectacular!!!! And when I finished it I literally ran to my computer to see if there would be a next one. (It's all good there will be)


I don't particularly like alien books like at all (except Daemon) but JEEZ Rick Yancey made a whole new alien! Instead of being short green guys, or say giant spiders, or things that obliterate Earth in one shot they are sneaky and smart....and they look just. like. us. Its, nnnnnnnnnaaaaahhhhhhh NO!!! You second guess who is and isn't an alien all the damn time!!!!! I never once could figure out truly who was and wasn't and alien and Oh My Gosh it was intense and wonderful!! Hah, I have no words The Fifth Wave was just impressive and intense and (hm can I find another i word to describe it?) i-awesome!!!(;D did it)

     
One thing I did not realize in this book is that it is more than one POV. I know! I was shocked too the synopsis totally does not give that impression. The POVs are Cassie, Nugget, Zombie, and an alien. (there may be another but I dont think so, sorry if there is).   Lets start with Cassie! Ohmysweetgoodness she is amazing. Cassie is snarky and funny and smart and brave and loves her brother more than anything and <3!!! “Sarcasm doesn't appear to work on him. If that's true, I'm in trouble: It's my normal mode of communication." Truly this is one of a thousand examples i could give you of her. She is possibly the last human on Earth and damn, I wouldn't want it any other way. She stands when all you can do is sit and she survives when all there is left to do is die. Cassie for Cassiopeia is going down in history as The Best Girl to Survive the Apocalypse.  
  
Next is Zombie. Zombie is pretty cool. He rises up when all he's told are put downs and that the only thing to do is lie down and give in. He puts together so many things and endures so much with out losing (much) of his humanity. When the underdog (Nugget) is kicked his compassion comes out, compassion you didn't see before. My only problem with Zombie was his inability to not deal with the fact that his little sister was dead and he wasn't. It got irritating but he does get through it (or does he) eventually. Yeah Zombis is the man. He also cleared up a LOT of stuff for me, I think you learn the most though him. Oh and another thing about Cassie and Zombie: they ALWAYS keep their promises, even till death. Also Evan, it takes a while to meet him but he is sweet and adorable and just like a teddy bear. Truly


 I love The Fifth Wave so much! The writing was beautiful and shows a totally new way of thinking. Here:“I am a shark, Cassie," he says slowly, drawing the words out, as if he might be speaking to me for the last time. Looking into my eyes with tears in his, as if he's seeing me for the last time. "A shark who dreamed he was a man.” *dies*and “There's an old saying about truth setting you free. Don't buy it. Sometimes the truth slams the cell door shut and throws a thousand bolts.” Basically I loved this book and you will too. Just give it a try. All your arguments are invalid. Trust me. READ THIS BOOK IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book also, sadly noone really mentions my fave char in the book (Teacup).

    The idea that you can't tell who is an alien and isn't makes the book alot more interesting, and keeps you engaged the entire time. I was also very happy to find out that there is going to be a 2nd and even 3rd book.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...