Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall by Susan Ee
283 Pages
Release Date: May 21st, 2011
Publisher: Feral Dream
Genre: Paranormal (kinda)
Level: YA
Rating: 4.8 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.




So I was very, very skeptical about this book, especially after reading the synopsis....the plot just didn't seem like something I would enjoy and grab on to. I really only read it because I wanted a paranormal-y book I hadn't read yet and this was on my to-read list. But WOW! I really, really enjoyed Angelfall! Susan Ee is awesome. There were a couple of times where I even stood up and walked around my room while saying things like "awkward, awkward, AWKWARD" and then had to immediately race back to keep reading because I NEEDED to know what happened next. (not want, need) I probably read this book in about four hours, which is really fast for me. Angelfall is just the bomb, truly. I went online and looked to see if there was a second book before I was even halfway through it. Susan Ee is brilliant. I really love the plot and the whole concept of the story and just UGH i love it all!!!!!!!! There is probably one part about this book I didn't like and it was the wing thing at the end (I know spoilers bad me, but it needed to be said and I was vague) because just no. No. Angelfall is fantastic and I kind of want to go read it again and I finished it yesterday afternoon.

Now, Penryn. She is so badass!!!!!! She cares about her sister more than anything else in the world and for a lot of heroines (and heroes) thats what leads to their downfall, their weakness. But damn all it does is make Penryn stronger! There is really no distinct moment I can think of that just proved it for my it was more like right from the very beginning you can just tell and then as the story goes on she keeps doing these amazingly brave and stupid and wonderful things! I love how snarky and sarcastic she is but also how awkward and how she can't, for the life of her, come up with a good enough come back. I love how she never falters, she sees what she has, good or bad, takes it and makes it work in the best way possible for her. And she isn't afraid to get a little dirty in the process. (she eats cat food...just saying) Penryn is awesome and amazing and the BEST!!!

Let's move on to Raffe. Oh Raffe, you aloof stubborn angel. I don't know exactly what it was, maybe his smile when Penryn pretended he was heavy or his sarcasm when they first talk but somehow he got through my "man this main guy character is an ass" radar and he just became funny and in a way sweet. (okay I'm going to have to spaz so all who don't want a little spoil skip this sentence) OMG OMG OMG when she had the nightmare in the guest house and he came and cuddled with her to make her calm down and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (okay I'm better now) Oh! And I was soooooo surprised when I found out who Raffe was, I even went to go look up (on Wikipedia) what he did. (what about you?) Raffe is just so amazing, you should read Angelfall as a gift to yourself for reading this post. (Btw he's shirtless....a lot....*slow smile* thats right.....abs....) He's just the coolest, really and this thing at the end and *clamps hand over mouth* As you can see I really need someone to talk to about this.

MOVING ON! This book is amazing and fantastic and wonderful. And you should read it because abs, I mean angels, I mean Raffe and Penryn. I could never describe this any better even if I tried and not in the sense that I described it perfectly now in the sense that this is so far below what it deserves but I have no words good enough to describe it better so this is as good as any of us our going to get. But trust me Angelfall is spectacular and you should definitely, definitely read it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you loved this book so much!!
    I absolutely adored it!! It's probably my favourite Angel book of all time and I just can't wait for the sequel to come out!!

    Ahhh, Raffe!! *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This sounds like such a unique novel!
    I'm very intrigued by the world, and the fact that Penryn has real world problems on top of everything else makes me want to read this even more. She sounds like such a fantastic and strong character. Raffe sounds very intriguing too!
    I definitely need to get my hands on this after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is the review that has convinced me that I should read this one. I had been avoiding it for whatever reason but trust your judgement so....it's being reserved at the library!! Great review, thanks!

    Highly recommended TCA Minnesota Divorce Lawyer

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...