Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review: Waterfell by Amalie Howard

Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)Waterfell by Amalie Howard
304 Pages
Release Date: October 29th, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Mermaid
Level: YA
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Rating: 2.5 STARS

Goodreads Summary:
THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age. 

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?

MY THOUGHTS:

       FIRST, OMG SUCH A PRETTY PRETTY COVER!!! The blues and how it connects as the ocean and then the hair floating plus the way the title is put on the cover IT'S JUST GORGEOUS!!!!

     Ok now that I've gotten that off my chest...on to the actual story. Unfortunately, Waterfell did disappoint and wasn't as good as I expected. Mermaids have always been a story that was always on my iffy list. All the ones I've read never end up being GREAT just ok or good. It was kind of the same for Waterfell except that the plot and world itself was pretty amazing. Amalie Howard did write a creative story with a original mermaid story plot and it definitely had potential.

     However, what the most annoying thing about the story was Nerissa. She was so irritating, selfish, and arrogant!!! She believed she was better than everyone else (Auranthi and human) even though she was the one who didn't even want to be queen. Like she would never object to Soren or Echlios (her guardians) to calling her my lady and I never felt that she felt a bond or sense of love between her and her guardians. Yeah they may have not have been her parents but I'm sure she must have felt some sort of gratitude or some sort of affection to them but we never see much of great interaction/bond between them. She also thought she was invincible but really not. She didn't even have the FULL training needed and wanted to go with Speio and Echlios on a special mission not even thinking that she wouldn't be ready always assuming superiority over others.

     Lo, the love interest, wasn't a GREAT character either. He didn't have much character actually...Basic and bland. Bond haired (I think), surfer, abs, cocky but sweet but he just didn't have that oomph that makes me love guys. His relationship with Nerissa also seems to take A LOT of time in the book mainly with Nerissa not being able to come forward with her feelings. Speio was actually a character I could deal with. He was cool and totally protected Nerissa when needed. He was one of the characters that got annoyed by Nerissa's antics and I took his side on a lot of their arguments. I'm still a bit confused of what his feelings are for her or well lack of but hopefully I'll get it soon.

      There were some plot twists I never saw coming and it was within the last 75-50 pages were things got A LOT more interesting and things were actually happening. The book seemed to drag on until the last section of the story where everything comes to place and find out all that's happening. Jenna and Sawyer were also awesome side characters. As Nerissa's friends, they were such a cute couple and great for her really. Jenna understood her and was an awesome friend. I wished we saw more connections/bonds with Sawyer, Speio, Soren, and Echlios. It would've made the book a bit more enjoyable.

     I think that people would have different takes on this book and that anyone really could give it a try. I do think mermaid fans should give this book a try since they may end up loving or at least liking it. I do not however recommending this to those who never really liked mermaids. It would be hard to give it a try. Overall I believe Nerissa really did give Waterfell a negative drop and made it hard for me to like. Happy Readings!!


 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a mermaid stories fan, so I think that I'd have to pass about this one, but you're right, gorgeous cover!

    Thank you for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, potential. So many books have it, but then it's not executed well. I loved that there were twists, but I think I would DNF before then! Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading this novel, and like you say, Nerissa was a total arrogant, selfish girl. Ack. I dislike her to the infinite degree. But I guess there's not much to hope for the better for the rest of the book.
    And Lo is just a bunch of stereotypes squashed into one and he was boring.

    Great review though! You've managed to sum up what I've been feeling the entire way :)
    New follower!
    Emily
    @ FlutterealFlight

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...