Friday, January 31, 2014

The Thing About Books: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

A new week. A new The Thing About Books :)
This week we discuss the fantabulous THESE BROKEN STARS by 
Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner! *THERE ARE SPOILERS* 
Only read this post if you've already read this book or else we'll spoil the book like crazy
and we wouldn't want that to happen!
Without further ado...enjoy!

~These Broken Stars~


Caitlyn Crowe
I am sooooo glad These Broken Stars finally came out so we could review it! I went crazy when I read the ARC and couldn't immediately spaz all over a review about it!

Taherah Abbas
Such awesome characters with a great and cool background setting

Caitlyn Crowe
TARVER! LETS TALK ABOUT TARVER!

Taherah Abbas
OMG TARVER <3 MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT

Caitlyn Crowe
I KNOW ! I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW! HE'S JUST UGH! HES SO GREAT AND HE IS SO SWEET AND I DONT UNDERSTAND BECAUSE HE'S JUST AMAZING.

Taherah Abbas
RIGHT?! He can most definitely make any girl swooooooon

Caitlyn Crowe
Lots of swoonage. Major amounts of it. Because he's hot (ABS) and funny and sweet and he puts up with Lilac's crap (well...mostly I mean...other times...not so much)

Taherah Abbas
Actually I like the gradual change seen in Tarver and Lilac. Tarver and how he viewed Lilac and how much being alone in the wild caused Lilac to adapt and become less bratty and more chill

Caitlyn Crowe
I also really liked them in the beginning...like the very first scene. That was good.

Taherah Abbas
Where they meet at the party?

Caitlyn Crowe
Yes. Then

Taherah Abbas
Same. It showed the chemistry they had and how there was more to Lilac than a spoiled rich girl

Caitlyn Crowe
Aaaaaand then she went and ruined it like a pretentious snob. Which she is (was) DAMN THAT ENDING THOUGH

Taherah Abbas
Was. It did take time for me to warm up to her. RIGHT?! The fact that they actually blew up the planet was just intense

Caitlyn Crowe
And she died. Taherah. Taherah. She *died.* And then she didn't. And I just. Wtf man wtf

Taherah Abbas
THAT was unexpected. Her coming back not so much (B/c you know it is a YA book :P) but it did take me by surprise

Caitlyn Crowe
I was just. No. But I think we really see her grow the most when Tarver is sick/injured (it was a while ago I don't remember!) and she got her shit together and took care of him.

Taherah Abbas
That was the definite height when she finally realized that she needed to do something and change for the better

Caitlyn Crowe
And she diiiid XD yay her!

Taherah Abbas
I was totally cheering her on by that point ^_^

Caitlyn Crowe
I also really loved how it was just them. It was just two people fighting through this world with only each other to rely on. On each other

Taherah Abbas
I would have thought that the book would have been a bit bland with only the two of them but it actually wasn't. The wild seemed like a natural yet present essence in the book

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah and they were both so different and...real that it didn't matter if it was just them. They were enough. And omg, it just. It gets me thinking, like really thinking. When you shove these two people who have come to rely solely on each other, who love each other so much. When you shove them back into their lives, are they even going to fit? What's going to happen to them? How will they survive?

Taherah Abbas
I think they will be adaptable problem solvers. It'll be harder as expected but I think they could deal just like the end of the book
And I love the whole "Titanic"-like story plot they had with the twist. Did I mention how much I love that they're in space?

Caitlyn Crowe
Omg I know! It just ADDS to everything! It makes them being alone and on a planet and the ship crashing and all of it so much more than it would be in any other situation.

Taherah Abbas
RIGHT?! It was just awesome and of course THE COVER OMG JUST PRETTINESS I CANT EVEN

Caitlyn Crowe
YEEEEES JUST THE DRESS! THE DRESS!!! AND THEN THE HANDS AND UGH(this may have been slightly exaggerated...so ignore the caps...)

Taherah Abbas
THE REAL LOOKING STARS WITH THE MIDNIGHT BLUE BACKGROUND.

Caitlyn Crowe
YES! And just...I don't know. At the end when they're watching the planet being blown up...I can just see it...

Taherah Abbas
That was a pretty intense moment. All their memories just torn and blown up

Caitlyn Crowe
So only they know it happened. All those people. Gone in an instant with only those two left.
AND THE ALIENS TOO OMG I LIKED THEM I FELT SO SAD THEY DIED

Taherah Abbas
The aliens were the dead humans or something of the sort used as an energy source yesssss? :O

Caitlyn Crowe
I have no idea. I just kinda felt like the aliens WERE the planet. Like they inhabited every aspect of it even Tarver and Lilac eventually

Taherah Abbas
But they were energy sources of a sort right?!

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah. Like the energy source of the planet. Thats what I meant

Taherah Abbas
Ahh good. Wanted to make sure I was thinking of the right thing. And yeah those were very cool. I liked the mystery they held on the planet

Caitlyn Crowe
Oh gosh. When I thought Lilac was going crazy...scary times...scary times...

Taherah Abbas
INTENSE man. Just intense scenes or I thought so at least

Caitlyn Crowe
Yes I agree. OH ! I really loved how there were little snippets of him being questioned all through out the story. It really...added something to the plot. To see where he lied and why and to see how he had changed and stuff

Taherah Abbas
OOH yes! I was a bit confused in the beginning but it all started to connect and I love the end didn't waste all that time with the "after" if you kinda get what I'm trying to say

Caitlyn Crowe
I do. Instead of there being this whole bug DEAL sort of thing in the end it was all basically over with in like three chapters: them contacting a ship, her POV, and then his

Taherah Abbas
YES exactly! Just perfect

Caitlyn Crowe
It would have been...not bad but not nearly as good, if it had been the same pace as the rest of the book. In a way it makes sense because at this point they are so used to their slow solitary way of life that all these people and things happen really quickly in their minds so they do in the book too.

Taherah Abbas
True that...
I'm looking forward to reading the next book and definitely recommend this book to sci-fi/starcrossed/survival story lovers :P Elegant and perfect, These Broken Stars gets 5 not so broken stars ^.^

Caitlyn Crowe
YES

Hope you enjoyed are convo! What did you think about THESE BROKEN STARS?
Love, like, dislike? TELL US we would love to know 
your thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...