Monday, March 3, 2014

Unraveling Books: Control by Lydia Kang




Welcome to this week's Unraveling Books where Caitlyn and I write 
dual reviews for books we've read. This week we write our thoughts
on CONTROL by Lydia Kang. Enjoy :)


Control by Lydia Kang

Control (Control, #1)400 Pages
Release Date: December 26th, 2013
Publisher: Dial
Genre: Sci-fi/Dystopian
Level: YA

Goodreads Summary:
An un-putdownable thriller for fans of Uglies

When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down technology, her new friends’ peculiar gifts, and her own grit, Zel must find a way to get her sister back from the kidnappers who think a powerful secret is encoded in Dyl’s DNA.

A spiraling, intense, romantic story set in 2150—in a world of automatic cars, nightclubs with auditory ecstasy drugs, and guys with four arms—this is about the human genetic “mistakes” that society wants to forget, and the way that outcasts can turn out to be heroes.


Taherah's Review: 4 STARS 
As much as I wanted to read this book, I was also a bit hesitant not really knowing what to expect. The beginning didn't really catch my attention as I hoped it would however as soon as Zel gets to her new foster home well let's just say that's when the awesomeness begins :D Unique, extraordinary, yet with its own few flaws, Control was worth the read. I love the world Zel lives in. With super high tech, it's interesting seeing all these new kinds of technology and how it affects their lives. It's pretty funny also seeing how cars and laptops right now are considered old and antiques. I do wish that the Halo, a studded earring used for communications, was more thoroughly explained and maybe it's just me but it would've been cool to learn more about it. 

Zel is an interesting character to say the least. I love how real she is and her determination to get her sister back. The main thing I had a problem with was her recklessness and stupidity (decision wise). I for one still don't get how she would trust some guy that talked to her on her Halo so easily. I get that she wanted more info on where her sister was but you don't just kiss some guy you just met. Just no. And the way she wouldn't even doubt his intentions was just hypocritical since she didn't even trust her foster family who she's met and talked to before who also promised to help get Dyl back. It was cool seeing her build relationships with Vera, Hex, Marka, Wilbert, and of course Cy ;P

As for Cy....well he was amazing and cute and mysterious. I loved that we learn more about him and see all the secrets he has unravel as his relationship with Zel grows. It was quite hysterical seeing Cy's hatred yet obvious liking toward Zel. They're a good pair and they have their moments where you just want to coo at them. Loyal and protective, he makes for an awesome friend, lover, and healer. Hex who has 4 arms, was my favorite character. Funny and mischievous he gave the book it's light tone at times and hilarious as a character. Vera was awesome. I love how much she contrasts Zel yet is still able to be compatible with her and be able to be friends.  Wilbert was cool I loved learning how having 2 heads affected him and I loved how the science for some of these characters were incorporated and showed why and how the mutations occurred.

Unexpected and thrilling, Control is a book I would recommend to sci-fi and adventure lovers. May be one for paranormal lovers with it's plot. And I have to add, loving the cover: the blue awesomely contrasts against the black cover with a suspenseful tagline. Happy Readings!

Caitlyn's Review:
When I first heard about Control I thought it looked pretty good but it wasn't on my must read list but I think it was well worth the read. It exceeded my expectations and is really unlike any other book I've read. Yeah, its dystopian but it has this sort of sci-fi feel to it, along with like...substance abuse (?) I know that sounds bad but I can't think of another way to explain it. I have to admit, at times Zel gets really annoying and makes nonsensical decisions and at time the story strays in weird ways that kinda don't make sense. But overall Control is very interesting and exciting. Sometimes its really funny and makes you grin like an idiot. The new technology was really cool although I didn't really like the Halo thing...I'm not sure why but it just irritated me and was kinda vague. The new drugs though....trippy, and the mutations and how they could be harnessed? THAT was cooooool. Overall I really enjoyed it and I am waiting anxiously for the second book to come out. I want it. Like right now....

So Zel...she...mmm....how do I put this? At first she just completely complied with her dad and it didn't really feel like she had a personality outside of being a sister to Dyl but them. Mmmm. Ok, minor spoiler just because its the thing that pushed me over the edge and made me realize I loved Zel and that Control was going to be good. So Cy was like "Dude that's my shirt, wtf." and she wips it off and throws it at him and is like "Fine, whatever. Have your freaking shirt back. JEEZ" and walks away. And in that moment I knew, it was instant love. Zelia is really smart and nonjudgmental, she really does bring the best out of the people who surround her. She's also kind of a badass. I love how dedicated she is to her sister and how she really blossoms. She makes STUPID decisions sometimes but ultimately makes up for it by being loving and fighting for her loved ones and what she believes in with all her might.

Now Cy...mmm...Cy. So he's really gruff and antisocial and just...kind of a bitch at first. But then. BUT THEN. He isn't because he's gorgeous and kind and loyal and sweet and awkward and adorable. He's also really smart and just mmm I die. ANYWAYS he's cool.  Um...who next....OH! Hex! He is so cool. He's like the ultimate guy best friend. He's really loud and happy and funny in this football player sort of way...he kinda reminds me of Hector from Starcrossed...only with 4 arms (and a little less awesome because...Hector) Now Vera, I like her. She's really cool and seems kinda like a bitch but once she and Zel get to know each other they become fast friends. Wilber...I can't with him...I just read the book and it's too fresh I'll just spoil stuff if I try so I wont. OH! And Marka! She is really great and basically the gang's mother figure. It is really cool to see how their abilities affect them and what they do. I twas also cool to see their relationship grow with not just Zel but also each other.

All in all I would recommend this book, especially if you like sci-fi/dystopian books. Control is really interesting and unique, I hope you'll pick it up and read it. Bye ;)

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book. It was a 4 star read for me too. I will definitely read the next book even though we have to wait a year.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...