Friday, March 28, 2014

The Truth About Books: Faking Normal by Courtney Stevens



For this week's The Truth About Books 
(man, its been a while), Taherah and I reviewed
Courtney Stevens' Faking Normal
***WARNING THERE ARE SPOILERS
So, if you haven't read the book, go read it and come back ;)

Goodreads Summary:

An edgy, realistic, and utterly captivating novel from an exciting new voice in teen fiction.

Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

A searing, poignant book, Faking Normal is the extraordinary debut novel from an exciting new author-Courtney C. Stevens


~Faking Normal~

Taherah Abbas
Faking Normal was a lot more different than what I expected. For one it was a lot lighter and shows more of how Alexi isn't all depressed and dark for like normal girls in these types of books. And that was one of the things that I loved seeing

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah, I liked how she didn't let her damage define her. She kept going and being herself, even if it was in an unhealthy way. A lot of the time in these types of novels the...rape ends up defining the person's entire life, which I totally get btw, but it was nice to see a new perspective

Taherah Abbas
Exactly. I liked the way that we do see the way she deals with it while it may be on her own and how she's able to overcome and deal with it in a better way

Caitlyn Crowe
Alexi is just a really strong character, and it was great to see through her eyes.

Taherah Abbas
Then there were the lyrics. LOVE LOVE LOVE how they were added to the book and how in a way they were the playlist for her life and the book in general

Caitlyn Crowe
OMG THE LYRICS!!! They really sold this book for me, it was super before and then add the lyrics in and it became AMAZING!!! I loved how they related to how she felt and what she was going through, in a way Captain Lyric was her confidant when she didn't have one. Even if she didn't come right out and say it, he really was (I mean Bodee was too...)

Taherah Abbas
Ahhh Bodeee! LOVE his character his this book. The way he was her helping hand and how they became friends. Just toooo cute! I love they were both able to connect and relate to one another ☺

Caitlyn Crowe
I love the way the author describes him in the end burb thing. She says "There are Bodees in the world...there are guys and girls out there who are not takers." That really resonated with me, because when you think about it Bodee never took. He only gave and received what she gave him. He is probably one of the best characters I have ever read about. He is so sweet and unique and interesting. He is broken, like Alexi in a way that he doesn't let his brokenness define him. He is still true to himself and never falters.

Taherah Abbas
Basically. I also love he let Alexi in instead of just ignoring her.

Caitlyn Crowe
And how he liked her from the very beginning!

Taherah Abbas
Yessssss I do like that we see a gradual relationship that turns into something more and just plain awesomeness.

Caitlyn Crowe
I really do love that they are friends first because really its what both of them needed more than a relationship or anything like that.

Taherah Abbas
I also love her relationship with her sister, which is a lot like one in real life. Ones with good moments and ones with bad moments

Caitlyn Crowe
I love how loyal her sister was to her in the end. For a while I was kinda terrified that her sister would say Alexi was lying and not support her but she totally did.

Taherah Abbas
There were times I really didn't like her sister but she really did come through by the end and I liked how that was shown

Caitlyn Crowe
Dude, I did NOT think it was Craig. Like at all.

Taherah Abbas
He was definitely on my suspect life. For me it was more of a I wasn't expecting it but I wasn't surprised either. It was a BIG betrayal though that I personally felt.

Caitlyn Crowe
Idk for me it was kinda like I suspect everyone and no one all at once. I just really like him ambiguous it was and how it didn't really sway one way or another until you KNEW

Taherah Abbas
Yeah I get it. I love how we figure it's him though. The way she's able to figure out why she wasn't able to fight back and how deep one small promise that she made as a child affected her.

Caitlyn Crowe
In that moment I absolutely hated her sister. I still hate Craig but her sister I forgive.

Taherah Abbas
RIGHT?! I honestly don't know how she was able to make things seem alright between them throughout the whole novel with him. The way she acted honestly made it harder to be able tell who was the one who raped her.

Caitlyn Crowe
UGH RIGHT I WANT TO PUNCH AND HUG ALEXI AT THE SAME TIME FOR NOT LAYING ALL THE BLAME ON HIM AND FOR PRETENDING IT WAS NO BIG DEAL!!!! I mean I get it, I totally do. But UGH. I hope he never recovers and dies a sad lonely broke man

Taherah Abbas
I love that Bodee was able to help her realize that she wasn't at fault at all and how Craig was to blame. I just hate how he was like oh it's all fine to marry her sister even after raping Alexi. For a guy like him I would expect him to be so guilty and just not be able to even handle being in the same room as her.

Caitlyn Crowe
The thing is, I don't think he let himself realize it was rape. Oh, he knew it was but just like she wouldn't admit it to herself, he wouldn't either. That's what I hate about these sorts of things people will always say "Oh, but they didn't say no, so...it wasn't rape" But they also didn't say yes and that's what's important.

Taherah Abbas
Yeah and I'll admit I was a bit mad at first that she wouldn't say anything with Hayden like during that moment I was like WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! But then as she came to realize there was something in her mind that stopped her. That there was a reason behind all of it. It was just so sad and tragic that she had to go through that :/

Caitlyn Crowe
It was almost more tragic than the rape in a way because yeah the rape was terrible and shouldn't be sugarcoated but she was traumatized and that made it so she could never say no. To anyone.

Taherah Abbas
It really was. I'm just so glad that she had Captain Lyrics even before Bodee technically even came in the picture and that she had at least one person that could connect to her through lyrics.

Caitlyn Crowe
OH! You know, I think what’s her face, her best friend who is more outgoing?

Taherah Abbas
Heather

Caitlyn Crowe
Yeah her. SHE'S A TOTAL BITCH! First up, she totally hits on Bodee when its SUPER OBVIOUS that Alexi likes him and second up she lies to Alexi into making her think Hayden is Captain Lyrics and basically fucks up her life

Taherah Abbas
I wasn't a huge fan of hers either :/ At time she was ok but at the same time I hated how much she pushed what she wanted onto Alexi. Just stop.

Caitlyn Crowe
She should have been a better friend. Its really shitty that someone who Alexi never talked to cough Bodee cough realized something was wrong before her supposed "best friend" did

Taherah Abbas
In a sense Bodee has understood her from the very beginning and Heather was more of a way to forget it all and pretend everything was alright

Caitlyn Crowe
shrugs basically Bodee is the coolest thing that ever happened and everyone else sucks

 Taherah Abbas
 Faking Normal gets a 4.5-5 STARS from me ☺ Can't wait to see what other books Courtney Stevens has in store

Caitlyn Crowe
5 FOR MEEEEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...