Friday, May 24, 2013

Review:The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
375 Pages
Release Date: April 1st, 2006
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Genre: Greek Mythology/Fantasy
Level: YA
Rating: 5 STARS

Goodreads Summary: 

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.





I'm just gonna come right out and say it: Rick Riordan is a genius. All of the Percy Jackson books are spectacular and amazing and wonderful and magic and just so, sooo good. If you haven't read them...shame on you, go read them now. GO! Seriously though, The Lightning Thief is one of my all time favorite books and I have read it (and all the rest of this series) at least a dozen times, people ask me why my book is so beat up and its because I read it so much. It is filled to the bursting with awesome. Also (if my word isn't good enough for you) everyone who sees that I'm reading this book is like "You haven't read that yet?!?" EVERYONE, its a little irritating but nice to see that so many others have read and liked it. I first read it 3 years ago and then proceeded to convinced my parents to take me to Greece because of it, yup it was cool. Then this year I read the Odyssey and I realized...holy crap the Percy Jackson series taught me all this. A book I love and read for fun TAUGHT ME GREEK MYTHOLOGY, and I didn't even realize and that is why Rick Riordan is a genius. (also his chapter names? Hysterical: I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom) 



So in The Lightning Thief all the Greek (not Roman, no they are NOT the same thing, sorry pet peeve of mine) gods and goddess and myths...are real. And all of these things followed the Western civilization as it moved from place to place, now it resides in America, with Mount Olympus at the top of the Empire State building in New York. Percy (and Annabeth) are demigods or half-bloods, children of mortals and gods. They each hold some of the powers and characteristics of their godly parent. When a demigod reaches about the age of 12 monsters start to hunt them down, so satyrs are sent to track them down and bring them to Camp Half-Blood where demigods train to fight monsters and make it in the real world. When they come to camp the demigods are out in to cabins depending on their godly parentage. If a god does not claim their child the child is put into the Hermes cabin, I am sad to say more than a few sit waiting there for many, many years. When Percy comes to camp, something is happening...something big. Zeus's master bolt was stolen and he wants it back, he blames Percy's dad, who being stubborn wont defend himself and wants an apology both by the Summer Solstice in ten days. 



Lets talk about Percy! I love Percy. Percy Jackson is this amazing twelve year old who puts all other twelve year olds to shame, I wish I were even a fraction of how amazing he is. Percy is smart and funny and witty and thats a synonym but its true and AAAHHH!!!! He's so amazing and kind and carrying and his friends are what mean the most to him and his mom (who is amazing as well). He is the so of Poseidon and can control water (among other things *cough cough* Blackjack *cough cough*)!!! Its extraordinary and HE'S SO COOL! He is probably, no not even probably he is one of the top heroes ever (at least in my book). And he does all these cool, brave, scary things and he's 12!!!! When I was 12 I complained about school...that's it. No sword fights, no gods, no monsters, no prophecy, no nothing. I don't usually even like guy POVs but man do I love this one. Percy, Percy...he's just....Percy is.....he's a bamf. Truly 100% bamf. I'm sorry can't explain him better. He is awesome.



Now Annabeth! She is the daughter of Athena the goddess of war and wisdom. Annabeth is this truly spectacular girl with a personality to match. She is the bomb. She is stubborn and rude sometimes but once she is your friend you will never find a better one. She is snarky and funny and smart. She is so smart! Oh my gosh! It is so hard to remember that she is 12. She's just amazing. I cannot even begin to describe her.



Lastly Grover. Grover is a satyr, half man half goat. He has been assigned to protect Percy and make sure he makes it to Camp Half-Blood safely. Grover...well he seems like a failure and just kinda wimpy at first. But trust me he is not! Grover is brave and loyal and the best of friends because no matter how sucky the situation and no matter how much he doesn't want to do something he is always right there by Percy's side. Through thick and thin. He really is great.



If you are hesitant to pick up the book because you saw the movie and thought it was bad...just read it. The movie was bad, at least compared to the book, The Lightning Thief is pure awesome and the movie does not correctly portray this right at all. Read it you will benefit from it greatly. You will just blow right through all of them. This is just.....its really, really good I recommend it to anyone, even people who don't like reading (yes they exist) and it's a book for ALL ages!!  REEEEEAAAADDDDDD. Its worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...