Friday, April 10, 2015

Religion in YA


2015 has been such a great year for the promotion of diversity YA and actual diverse books. From books like Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda to Written in the Stars, these debut authors deserve a huge round of applause. This is totally going track but I have to give a shout out to these authors. I've never seen such a close group of authors who are great friends that stick up for one another. Some authors you want to be following on: Justina Ireland, Dahlia Adler, Melissa Grey, Katherine Locke, Becky Albertalli, Adam Silvera, Nicola Yoon, Aisha Saeed, Sabaa Tahir, Renee Ahdieh, Ilene Gregario, Marcy Beller Paul. The first 4 are so great about speaking up on Twitter about everything (racial diversity, feminism, sexuality). You want to add all their books to you TBR.

What I wanted to discuss today is religion/belief in YA (which was inspired by Aisha Saeed's Written in the Stars (a great book)). From the 6 years I've been reading books, there was never much religious diversity or even religion involved. If a person was religious they were Christian/Catholic and sometimes Jewish. Even then, I was never sure if they were that religious or not. Saving the world can do that to characters. I know I'm not personally a fan of books that heavily focus on religion and start to sound a bit preachy and I don't think that's ever been a problem I've faced when reading. Lots of books don't really need to mention it especially in a paranormal or fantasy world but contemporary books are a different story. 

I do want to question what readers would do if they did encounter a book in which the character was religious. The Distance Between Lost and Found by Kathryn Holmes was about a group of teens on a youth retreat and did a great job with how it handled the plot and the characters. Would the reaction be different if these characters were on a Jewish, Muslim, or Bhuddist retreat of a sort? Some religions have different values that not many people are accustomed to. Do you think contrasting opinions between the reader/character would take away from the book's rating? Should it even matter? In reality, would this be a problem that hinders from a book's or author's success? 

For authors who are planning on writing a character from a different religion than they are, research is important!! I can't stress this enough.

(I'm not sure if I even got my point across but I hope this post made sense. I respect all and any religions/beliefs) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...