Monday, July 7, 2014

Unraveling Books: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
Release Date: June 17th, 2014
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Genre: Fantasy
Level: YA

Goodreads Summary:

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

Caitlyn's Review: 4.6 STARS

      I'll admit, while reading this book I honestly wasn't sure how it could end well. But it really pulled through nicely! All the lose ends were tied up and you gained more of an understanding of amplifiers and the Small Science. I kinda felt like a poser when Taherah and I went to the Launch Party because although I really really like the Grisha Series I wasn't all THAT into it. Well now I'm THAT into it. At one point I started to stop reading and go on Netflix and I got about 5 minutes into what i was watching before I paused it and said, "I cant do this" and went back to the book. I just love the way Leigh Bardugo writes and reveals things. I could honestly read anything she's written. Taherah and I have gone to a couple of panels just because we knew Leigh Bardugo was going to be there and we love her because she is so funny and witty and sarcastic.

    Since Siege and Storm I've been really irritated with Alina and Mal. I honestly wanted to shake them both and yell "JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER JESUS!" But then throughout Ruin and Rising this other crazy shit happened and...Basically lots of stuff happens and Alina and Mal are still kinda gross towards each other. A lot of it is Alina's intense need for power. She NEEDS the third amplifier, she NEEDS to have all the power available to her because she's addicted to the feeling of using. It was interesting to see her try to balance that with her normal interactions and everyday relationships. Mal's...you know...Mal. His loyalty is insane. INSANE. And Alina's little gang of followers! I love them (I'm not going to go through them because honestly I've kinda forgotten their names...BUT Taherah didn't so go read her review)

    This is going to sound really bad but....I kinda still like the Darkling. I really really wanted Alina to find a way to end all this madness while saving him too. Even in the end when he did this terrible horrible thing he just wanted someone as an equal to himself. He just wanted a friend, I mean in a super scary perverse way but still. I was holding out hope for him. OH! And I love how at the beginning and ending of the book the narration sort of zooms out so its now "Alina and Mal (and friends)" but "the boy and the girl" (or something like that). Honestly this book just ties together everything really well. Definitely worth the read.   

Taherah's Review: 4.5 STARS
     Epic and daring, Ruin and Rising was a great conclusion to the Grisha trilogy. I loved how everything ended with all loose ends tied. Some of you may know that I really wasn't the greatest fan of Shadow and Bone but after reading Siege and Storm it was easy to see why the book had so much hype. Ruin and Rising did the story justice through its fluent writing and character development. One of my favorite aspects about this book and even Leigh Bardugo is the dialogue she wrote for her characters specifically Alina and Nikolai. Even though the circumstances may have suggested otherwise, it was hard not to laugh at some of the characters' remarks and retorts.
      Alina's obsession with obtaining the 3rd amplifier was somewhat lessened than in the second book but she still had that urge to get it. It was interesting to see how she dealt with it and how it affected her personal life especially her relationship with Mal although Nikolai was a bit to blame for that. BUT her relationship with Mal was just sizzling with chemistry even though he tried to stay away. It was funny seeing the way they could easily revert back to how they were before and get along so well before Mal shutting down and restraining himself. *le sigh* Oh Mal, fierce and protective, I loved his determination to keep Alina safe and do his best what he thought was right. He was the bright light and Alina's tether to the world. 

    I was ecstatic when Nikolai, my favorite character, made his grand and early appearance in the book. Loved as we continue seeing him as a leader. Hearing his witty banter with Alina and his sly remarks. While I don't considered him a love interest, he definitely has a special relationship with Alina compared to other characters. He brings some sort of comic relief yet order that he becomes so charismatic and influential. Pertaining other characters, the Apparat and all his followers creep me out *shudders* However, I did love Alina's gang of friends which included David (HE'S TOO ADORABLE FOR WORDS), Ghenya (an amazing best friend), Tolya and Tamar (loyal and brave warriors), Zoya with her amusing sass, Nadia, and Hershaw. While they had their differences, they were able to work together and work as one.

     Full of twists and a brilliant ending concluding the series, Ruin and Rising is not to be missed by anyone. Most definitely recommended to fantasy and paranormal fans. If you've read Siege and Storm don't hesitate to pick this up! Happy Readings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...