Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
320 Pages
Release Date: July 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Level: YA
Rating: 5 STARS

Goodreads Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.


So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.


She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.




So I bought this book at say.......11:30-12 o'clock one night and started reading it because I wanted a good book for the next day. Four hours later I had finished it. Kasie West is such a BAMF! People always ask me "Oh, whats been your favorite book this summer?" and I always say THIS ONE!!!! It is so amazing and wonderful and witty and completely relatable. There was never a time when I was like Caymen...I love you but no, it was ALWAYS just Caymen I love you so very very much. AND THE DRY HUMOR!!!! I live off of dry humor I love it so much!!!! And Caymen is SO funny!!!! And the fact that her mom owns a doll store is just adds to the humor of it all and I truly think is one of the reasons for Caymen's particular brand of funny! I read the first 2 pages and KNEW this was the book for me! I can't even describe it!! Its like its like all the magic of the world decided to inhabit this book instead of making unicorns and dragons and things (at least for me). Basically I love this book, Taherah did too. You should read its magnificent wonder...yeah.

CAYMEN!!!!! She is amazing!!!! She is so witty and sarcastic but at the same time really nice and sweet and snarky!!! And, just all sorts of amazing contradictory things that make her one of the best characters I know. I want to be this girl's best friend, even if I have to be psychotic and insane to do it! (not that I'm not already those things...) I'm not really sure what else to say...I'll give you this quote (from the 2nd page, I know I put so much effort into finding it *sarcasm*) "I need a doll"(customer *cough cough* Xander *cough cough* "Sorry, we're all out." (Caymen) It just makes me smile! And she is so (this may be spoilery I don't think so but if you don't want to take that chance skip a couple sentences) persistent on not falling in love with Xander but not in an irritating "Jeez just give in already, this is pathetic you obviously love him" way but in a smart way that makes sense and doesn't make you want to commit homicide on an innocent main character. Basically she's awesome.

Now, Xander. Xander is kinda amazing. He is so sweet and totally (well maybe more like...kinda) understand's Caymen's humor and can throw a little sarcasm right back. He does all these wonderful things for her and despite being rich and good looking and stuff, he is a really, really nice guy. A great guy, really. And I WISH I could give you examples so SO very much but they would be quite spoilery and I want you to discover it on your own with out my biased opinion getting in your way. Basically he's awesome.

I hope I inspired you to read this because I love it so very much and think its really worth reading. All the characters are amazing and it is so funny!!! The plot moves really well in a way that isn't fast but doesn't drag on either, you exactly as much as you want and need from every situation given. PLEASE leave comments and talk to me about this book you have no idea how happy it would make me!!! I hope you enjoy/ed it as much as I did!!!!

1 comment:

  1. See, I was at Barnes & Noble just yesterday and I didn't get this. I wanted to so badly. So happy you loved it, it seems like such a fun read.

    Good review :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...