Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mini-Review: Suspicion by Alexandra Monir

SuspicionSuspicion by Alexandra Monir
368 Pages
Release Date: December 9th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: Paranormal/Mystery
Rating: 3 STARS

Goodreads Summary: 
A modern-day twist on the classic thriller, Rebecca, with a dash of the supernatural, a powerful romance, and a deadly family mystery. 

“There’s something hidden in the maze.” 

Seventeen-year-old Imogen Rockford has never forgotten the last words her father said to her, before the blazing fire that consumed him, her mother, and the gardens of her family’s English country manor.

For seven years, images of her parents’ death have haunted Imogen’s dreams. In an effort to escape the past, she leaves Rockford Manor and moves to New York City with her new guardians. But some attachments prove impossible to shake—including her love for her handsome neighbor Sebastian Stanhope.

Then a life-altering letter arrives that forces Imogen to return to the manor in England, where she quickly learns that dark secrets lurk behind Rockford’s aristocratic exterior. At their center is Imogen herself—and Sebastian, the boy she never stopped loving.

Combining spine-tingling mystery, romance, and unforgettable characters, Suspicion is an action-packed thrill ride.

MY THOUGHTS:
       I've never read Rebecca so I can't compare the story lines of both books but I did love the supernatural mix to the mystery element. I really would have loved seeing Imogen deal with her abilities more and see that develop through time but I felt like it was glossed over since it tried to emphasize the mystery aspect of the story. And I think Alexandra Monir did a pretty amazing job with the mystery. It was easy to follow along with Imogen's thoughts and there were last minute twists that surprised me. I also loved the manor setting and the aristocratic system, which I didn't know much about. It's a nice change in setting from other YA books for sure.

    Imogen was a strong character but at the same time I feel like she didn't change as much though out the entire book. Especially in the beginning I don't know if I was put off by or surprised (in a sense) about her deep feelings for Sebastian. The boy she hasn't seen in 7 years. The one who probably was closer to her cousin than her. And I think if there was more plot development about Imogen learning about the history of her ancestors and her relationship with Sebastian, I would have a stronger connection to her as a person excluding Sebastian and her family. I did love seeing how dedicated she is to her family and it was interesting to see past memories within the story itself. I would have loved to seen more of Sebastian and Imogen as kids since they were pretty close friends especially memories from before her last visit to the manor.

   Despite the lack of character development, Alexandra Monir has a strong grip on the plot, the setting, and the mystery. I'm not sure if there's going to be a second book but if there is I can totally see an emphasis on Imogen and her abilities. I recommend this more to mystery lovers.
Happy Readings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...