Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish! Each week, a new topic is put into place and bloggers share their top ten.

**Lists aren't in any specific order**

Topic: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romance In Books
5 Things I Like/Want to see more in Fiction: 
1. When a romance doesn't take over the plot line (unless the romance is the plot line) 
2. Banter. I love seeing the banter between the 2 characters. 
3. Connections. I love seeing how close two people are and how they know both the big and small things about each other. For me, there has to be some sort of friendship or time for 2 characters to connect before they can fall in love. 
4. I don't know if this one even counts but best friend romances. Linking back to #3, most best friends have known each other for a good amount of time and it's so sweet and adorable seeing a friendship shift to a relationship. 
5. How human it is. Despite it being in a sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal story, it's still a relationship that I can connect to and have all the feels for. 

5 Things I Dislike When it Comes to Romance:
1. Insta-love/Insta-hate: If a person hasn't done anything for a character to love or hate then oh I don't know...DON'T INSTANTLY FEEL THAT WAY. I don't necessarily have experience but I highly doubt a person can feel so much for a person they barely know. 

2. It's not a thing per se but the concept/use of "opposites attract". Because honestly if you're opposites in every single way possible,  I don't think it would work out. In the foundation of most romances, there's usually something that they bond over. Whether it may be something that happened in their past or present, music tastes, coffee preferences or anything else, they can connect over it.
3. When characters keep having the same problems and THEY NEVER FIX IT. 
4. When the whole "We might be related" problem comes up. There aren't as many like this but it's there are some (*cough* City of Bones/Starcrossed) They usually become resolved with twists but it can become quite frustrating at times. It's just better to leave it alone. 
5. Cheating. Generally speaking, I 'm just not a fan when this happens. I know it's not black and white. There are a lot of factors and circumstances that come into account. If the cheating is part of the main story line, I barely read those. The only ones I have read and loved are Anna & the French Kiss and Sometimes It Happens. And for those two the girl the guy is actually with isn't exactly a main character and it's quite obvious they're having a failing relationship and will break up soon. But if it's just a passing thing where a girl/guy is in a relationship and they happen to kiss or something with another person, then it's like why. Just why would you do that. And if it does happen TELL THE OTHER PERSON! Don't hide it. Nothing good comes out of doing that. I'll probably go in depth on this topic in a discussion post later this year. 


OK so, what are your Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books? 
Any you want to add on to from my list? Agree? Disagree? Neutral? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Please note that Books As You Know It is an award free blog. While we appreciate the honor and support, we don't have any time to make a post for it. Thank you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...